Menu

We Make Lekker Biltong!

header photo

What Is Biltong?

Biltong is a form of dried, cured meat that originated in South Africa. Various types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef and game meats to fillets of ostrich from commercial farms. It is typically made from raw fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. It is similar to beef jerky in that they are both spiced, dried meats, however the typical ingredients, taste and production processes differ. The word Biltong is from the Dutch bil "rump" and tong "strip" or "tongue"

Biltong Facts:

Its Better For You Than Beef Jerky.

Unlike traditional jerky, beef biltong is cut into larger strips and specifically air dried, anywhere from 3-7 days to retain the meat's core nutrients. It's also specifically doused (not marinated) in vinegar, and rubbed with salt to eliminate the chewy texture often associated with other dried meats. 

Its Low In Fat.

Not only does it taste delicious, but biltong is ideal for healthy snacking, paleo diets and fitness fanatics alike. Unlike other cured meats, it's extremely low in fat - there's just 3% fat in a 25 gram serving.

Its Packed With Protein.

The nutritional values stack up impressively: biltong is so powerful a 25 gram serving gives you 50 per cent of your daily protein requirement, which can help to grow and maintain muscle mass.

Its An Ideal Post-Workout Snack.

Biltong is high in natural protein making it a fantastic healthy choice for those on a gym kick this year. It’s also a good source of vital minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium and vitamin B-12, that can help replenish the body after a particularly tough training session.

 

What Is Droewors?

Droewors ˈdrəvɔːrs Afrikaans literally "dry sausage" is a Southern African snack food, based on the traditional,coriander-seed spiced Boerewors sausage. It is usually made from dun wors Afr. "thin sausage rather than dik wors "thick sausage", as the thinner sausage dries more quickly and is thus less likely to spoil before it can be preserved. If dikwors is to be used, it is usually flattened to provide a larger surface area for drying.

The recipe used for these dried sausages is similar to that for Boerewors, though pork and veal are usually replaced by beef, as the former can go rancid when dried, mutton fat replaces the pork fat used in Boerewors. Drying makes the sausage ideal for unrefrigerated storage.

Droëwors is unusual among dried meats in being dried quickly in warm, dry conditions, unlike traditional Italian curedsalumi, which are dried slowly in relatively cold and humid conditions. A further difference is that Droëwors does not contain curing agent as found in a traditional cured sausage. A direct result of this is that Droëwors should not be kept in moist conditions as mold can begin to form more easily than would happen with a cured sausage.

This product is related both in name and in nature to the Dutch droge worst a.k.a. metworst.

 

What Is Boerewors?

Boerewors ˈbuːrəvors' is a type of sausage which originated in South Africa, is an important part of South African cuisine and is popular across Southern Africa. The name is derived from the Afrikaans words boer "farmer" and wors "sausage". Boerewors must contain at least 90 percent meat, and always contain beef, as well as lamb, pork, or a mixture of lamb and pork. The other 10% is made up of spices and other ingredients. Not more than 30% of the meat content may be fat. Boerewors may not contain any "mechanically recovered" meat (meat derived through a process where meat and bone are mechanically separated).